Monday, July 30, 2012

Silver Dollar City

My parents wanted to take the kids to Silver Dollar City in Branson, MO, so we made a little trip down there while visiting them in Kansas. The kids had fun. It was hot and tiring, but we all survived and Nora only had a meltdown after we got in the car our second day there. 

While we were there we got to see a couple shows, one of which was the Nik Wallenda show. If you don't know who he is (because you are a busy stay at home mom who doesn't watch tv or keep up with the news like me) then just google his name. Apparently, he walked a wire across Niagara Falls recently. Pretty crazy stuff. So the show with his family was in SDC and they DID NOT use any sort of harnesses or nets for safety measures. I was so nervous through the whole thing that I could hardly breath properly. It was pretty amazing, but I don't think I'd want to watch again. There was this part where they asked everyone to be as quiet as possible because they needed absolute concentration and Nora started whining for more food (she had already had 2 chocolate chip granola bars). I pulled out a 3rd one and frantically gave it to her because I could just see the beginnings of a tantrum and I did not want to be responsible for anyone's death.


When I look at this picture of our family it is hard to believe how big our kids are.




We had Nora go on this ride because for some reason the height requirement was only 34 inches instead of 36 inches (which all other rides were). Since she is only 34 inches she couldn't ride many rides but she wanted to ride everything. She is the one that loves a good thrill (remember she was the one who loved tubing).




Well, and as you can see, she did not like this one. She was fine until the water splashed her in the face. Her Daddy didn't think to shield her and she got a rude awakening. Otherwise, I think she would have liked it. 





We had a great time being with my family and it was a great memory making time with the kids. I went to SDC a lot growing up so I have a lot of my own family memories there. It is always fun to continue that tradition now that I have my own children.


1 comment:

  1. Growing up, there was always this old family photo hanging in our house that was apparently taken at Silver Dollar City when I was an infant. Everyone is decked out in frontier gear and the photo was taken on an old-time calotype camera. I have no memory of it, but small world! And Kansas is my home state, so there's that, too!

    ReplyDelete