Tuesday, March 30, 2010

What's Cookin' at Our House III

Slow Cooker Enchiladas
 by Simply In Season
[I absolutely LOVE this cookbook and received it as a wedding gift. It is great at providing healthy and nutritious meal ideas with "in season" fruits and veggies]

 

Ingredients:
1 pound ground beef
1 cup onion (chopped)
!/2 cup green pepper (chopper
Cook together in large skillet until meat is browned and vegetables are tender. Drain off fat.  [I did not add any onions or green pepper because I was majorly crunched for time and didn't want to chop any veggies]

2 cups kidney beans
2 cups black beans
2 cups tomatoes (chopped)
1/3 cup water (if using summer squash)
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 cup summer squash or carrots (shredded;optional)
1 cup corn (optional)
ground red pepper to taste (optional)
Add and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
[I used canned beans and used one can of each and a can of diced tomatoes and green chilies. I added about 1.5 cups of zucchini, but no corn or red pepper]

1 cup sharp cheddar cheese (shredded)
1 cup Monterey Jack cheese(shredded)
Combine separately.
[I only had sharp cheddar cheese]

7 flour tortillas 6-7 inches in diameter.
In a slow cooker, layer about 1 cup meat-bean mixture, one tortilla, and 1/3 cup cheese. Repeat layers to use all ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 5-7 minutes or until heated through.
[ I used whole wheat tortillas, but only ended up using about 4. I don't know if I put too much in between layers or if I just did not make enough of the bean-meat mixture to accommodate as many layers.]

I cooked this for about 5 hours and it was definitely done by then. I thought it was pretty tasty and served it with sour cream on top. This was my first time trying a slow cooker enchilada meal. Seth said that it was good, but not his favorite. I think he was spoiled with the chicken parmesan the night before and just didn't think this dish compared.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment