Friday, April 20, 2012

Dear Grandpa


This is what I read at my Grandpa's funeral April 10, 2012:

Dear Grandpa,

I am sure you are having a great time in heaven right now worshiping the Lord which is the thought that brings such comfort to my heart at this time.

When I think of your life, at least the part I experienced with you, I have nothing, but the fondest memories.

I will never forget the way you decorated for Christmas, the anticipation of that season and your almost child-like joy in all of it.

I will never forget your love of music, your strong voice, and the light in your eyes when you sang.

I will never forget the trips we took together, the way you went out of your way to make us feel loved.

I may not have appreciated all the ways you loved me, or even recognized them, but I cannot express how blessed I am to have had such a wonderful grandfather.

You were a man of integrity, you loved the Lord, and made it a point to share that with us. You were joyful, showing such peace and happiness rooted in a deep trust in the Lord.

You had the best laugh, a deep chuckle, that I loved hearing.

There are so many things that I enjoyed about you and will surely miss.

But I know that your legacy is long, you lived a full and faithful life and we are blessed because of it.

I love you dearly,

Krista


My grandpa passed away April 4, 2012 (Aidan's b-day) from a brain tumor that had been affecting his life for the past 2 years. He was 78 years old. He was a true follower of the Lord. Something that shows most evidently in the fact that even when he couldn't remember who my Grandma was, he never forgot the Lord. He couldn't carry on a conversation sometimes, but he could sing a hymn in its entirety or would say, "praise the Lord", "the Lord is so good to us", or "He just gives us so many blessings." While it is sad to see him go from this life, I am so happy to think of him being in heaven with his Savior.

We traveled to Memphis as a family on Easter Sunday and drove back on the 11th. It was a blessing to be with family for a short time and to celebrate my Grandpa's life.

No comments:

Post a Comment