Monday, April 18, 2011

Blessed.

About a year ago my Grandpa was diagnosed with a brain tumor. It was fast growing and in a difficult area of his brain and was causing a lot of complications with his normal functioning. In July 2010 he went through extensive brain surgery to remove the tumor and suffered major loss of memory and speech. It was like he walked in as my Grandpa and emerged as a completely different person. He couldn't remember anyone, not even my Grandma, and his speech was so erratic and slurred it was hard to understand him. He didn't make much sense most of the time really.

It was really hard on the whole family. I didn't see him after the surgery and have only talked to him on the phone since. The doctors didn't expect he would ever recover or regain anything beyond what faculties he had after the surgery. They also didn't have much hope in his life expectancy.

It has been 9 months since the surgery and my grandparents just came to visit us. They got to meet Nora for the first time. And my Grandpa was doing so well I wouldn't have ever guessed that he had brain surgery. He was the same man I remember and it was such a wonderful blessing to see how much has changed over these long months of recovery. It is truly a miracle.

1 comment: