Friday, February 3, 2012

Book Reading 2012

So, one of my goals for this year is to read a lot more books. It's not that I don't love reading, it's just that I have a lot of excuses for not doing it.

Here's what I read in January:
I read The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton in December and was curious to read another of her novels. I found it entertaining and interesting. It reminds me a little bit of the BBC show "Downton Abbey" because of it's similar time and setting. I like the way Kate Morton starts with a hint of mystery and ends by revealing details that are alluded to throughout the novel. I would definitely recommend it.


I honestly started this because of all the hype that went with it. I thought the premise was morbid and horrible, but once I started reading, I couldn't stop. I definitely still struggle with how it is all portrayed because children killing children just doesn't sit well with me, no matter how intriguing the story is. I honestly wish I could say that I wasn't drawn in and that I didn't read it in two days, but I did.  And, I'm honestly not sure how I even feel about it. I hate to say I love it, but I was sucked in to the story and couldn't stop, so there you have it.








So, I read the 2nd book. In two days again. And I found it just as interesting. Becuase I knew what to expect, I wasn't too shocked with the story, but I definitely was curious and excited about it. I would say that there are elements to the story that give hope for redemption for the entire idea of it, but I've heard the 3rd book isn't promising. Either way, I'll probably read it. And see the movie. And then I'll sit and struggle some more with whether or not I should even like this.










The hubby read this first and I honestly didn't think I'd be all that interested in it. But,it was excellent. Leif Enger does an amazing job writing a story in such a beautiful and captivating way.There were moments in the book where he described something that I could so intimately relate to, but not have been able to describe in words. It is funny, sad, and remarkably honest. I loved it and would highly recommend it. 













On my current book reading list:

Bringing Up Boys by Dr. Dobson
Mockinjay by Suzanne Collins
One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp
Counterfeit Gods by Timothy Keller

I have started 2 of the 4 already, so we'll see where I end up at by the end of the month. Anyone have good reads they recommend?

No comments:

Post a Comment