Tuesday, November 3, 2009

BBQ Chicken Pizza

One thing that we've been making about once a week is homemade bbq chicken pizza. I found a great recipe towards the end of the summer and you can either grill it or bake it in the oven.



This is the finished product-although this time I used mozzarella cheese when I actually prefer cheddar.

Here is the original recipe with my own personal modifications in parentheses:

1 pkg active dry yeast

1 cup warm water

2 tbls. vegetable oil (I use canola or extra virgin olive oil)

2 teaspoons sugar (I use honey or sucanat)

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon salt

2 1/2-3 cups all purpose flour (I use a combination of whole wheat and all purpose)

Toppings:

2 cups cubed cooked chicken

1/2 to 3/4 cup bbq sauce (I have yet to make homemade sauce for this pizza because I am in a hurry to get it together)

1/2 cup julienned green pepper (I actually chop up zucchini instead)

2 cups shredded Monterey Jack Cheese (I use cheddar or whatever I have on hand at the time)

Directions:

In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in water. (I let this stand for about 5 min.) Add, the remaining ingredients, but only 2 cups of the flour. Stir in remaining flour to form a soft dough (I don't always measure this, but just keep adding flour until my dough is not sticking to the bowl anymore).

Knead the dough until smooth and elastic. (I do this in my KitchenAid for like 6-7 min.).  Cover and let rise for 10 min. Roll out dough and transfer to a greased pizza pan.

Grill covered, over medium heat for 5 min. Remove and add toppings. Grill covered, 5-10 min. longer or until crust is golden and cheese is melted.

If you would rather bake in the oven, do the same as above at 400 degrees.

When you grill the pizza, it comes out pretty crispy, but baked in the oven it is a lot doughier and soft.

No comments:

Post a Comment