Thursday, October 22, 2009

Unusually Pleasant

Today was a day of few kinks. Thank you, Lord.

It was raining most of the day in a most dreary sort of way. The leaves have started falling off our trees and the lawn and driveway are hidden in a blanket of yellow and gold. If you look hard you can spot a patch of grass, but the leaves seem to have taken over as if to say that there is no turning back to the green days of summer.

The babies were not restless...I was at peace. I was surprised at my calm. The rain has a way of making me itch to escape from the hum-drum of the house. We ventured out twice. It was a sight to see, I'm sure. Diaper bag slung over one shoulder, baby carrier in one arm, and toddler on opposite hip, walking in an odd way to distribute the weight just enough so as not to tip over.

The library was buzzing with activity...rainy days have that affect on places like that. I love the library...I don't always enjoy keeping up with an 18 month old in the library, but when I am free to peruse the shelves at my leisure I am in heaven.

The babies slept...I had about 40 min. to myself and it was nice. I cleaned the kitchen and crocheted a hat that I completely restarted later this evening.

Seth was gone tonight, so it was just me and the boy for bedtime. Aidan was full of giggles and his smiles erased any lingering negativity from the past week. I was in love tonight...the delight was indescribable. We laughed, wrestled, tickled, threw our heads back, stuck out our tongues, mimicked each other's noises, and laughed some more. He wanted to stay in his bath forever and I was perfectly content sitting on the bathroom floor, watching him splash and sing and ask for more and more "bubbles." We cuddled and prayed and kissed and whispered and then he was off to bed. I didn't want it to end.

I spent the rest of my evening mopping the kitchen floor, watching some old ER, and doing pilates-not nearly as meaningful as the preceding events.

Thank you God for the gifts You have bestowed on me.

A few days ago, I read something that has been ever present with me and I wanted to share it.

Do Not Rush. Trust. And Keep a Quiet Heart.

"I think I find most help in trying to look on all the interruptions and hindrances to work that one has planned out for oneself as discipline, trials sent by God to help one against getting selfish over one's work. Then one can feel that perhaps one's true work-one's work for God-consists in doing some trifling haphazard thing that has been thrown into one's day. It is not a waste of time, as one is tempted to think, it is the most important part of the work of the day-the part that one can best offer to God. After such a hindrance, do not rush after the planned work; trust that the time to finish it will be given sometime, and keep a quiet heart about it. "

-Annie Keary, 1825-1879

2 comments:

  1. hey, thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. its nice to know i am not alone. its also nice to have a new reader. plus, i love findinf new blogs to read, so i will add you to the list! :)

    ReplyDelete