Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The joys of CIO (Cry It Out)

CIO is a controversial topic among many mothers. Some think it is unusually cruel and unloving, while others think it goes hand in hand with the development of good sleeping habits. I would have to agree with the latter.

While I have never been one to let Aidan cry for very long, I do think it is important for him to learn to sleep on his own. For about 2 months, he was the best about going down for naps and bed. He would lay right down without more than a tiny tired fuss. Then 4 months happened and sleep regression occurred. Along with that, he got his first ever cold. Somehow, I found myself rocking, singing, shushing, and patting him to sleep. This was new for me. I felt awful about letting him cry because his nose was stuffy and would only get worse with the crying. So, I gave in. His cold got better, I was still singing and rocking. Two days ago, I went back to square one. Put him in his bed and gave him 5 minutes to calm himself. He was out in about 3-5 minutes. Way to go little one. Just three days of this now and his crying is down to 0-2 minutes. I will be honest and say that I don't know what I would do if he cried for much longer. My rule has always been to give him 5 minutes and then if he is still crying, reassure him and give him another 5. I don't think it's ever gone beyond that, but I'm not sure what the next rule would be if I had to have one. I'm just lucky he loves his sleep enough to not fight it too long. Yet, even 5 minutes seems like too long sometimes...and I want to rush in and comfort him. But I know in the end I will be thankful I did this...and he will be too.

1 comment:

  1. Wow Krista,
    Time goes by so fast. I'm so glad you are a mom. Aiden really looks like you do. :-)

    ReplyDelete