Friday, May 30, 2014

Five Minute Friday- Nothing



This is my first time participating in the 5 minute Friday writing challenge. I love the freedom in taking just 5 minutes to write-unedited and real. I would love for you to join me in this! Check out Lisa-Jo Baker's Five Minute Friday Challenge here. Word for today-Nothing.


Nothing...

that is what I want to do most days.

I wish I had nothing to do but indulge my every whim, to sit in my pj's, take a long hot shower, read a book, paint a room.  But really, who am I kidding? It's in having everything that I find myself longing for nothing at the same time.

Nothing would be very lonely. It would mean I wouldn't have you. I wouldn't have work, I wouldn't have joy. Nothing doesn't sound so nice after awhile. Because when you are filled full of things, wonderful things, busy things, hard things...you still have so much more than nothing. It doesn't fulfill. It doesn't make you grow or challenge you. Nothing is without. It indulges in your selfishness and leaves you feeling empty.

To be the opposite of nothing is sometimes more things than I want to be. To be wife, mother, daughter, sister, friend. To have it all tugging at me, grasping for my attention. When it pulls me I release my notion of nothing and run into all those things, feeling the fullness of grace in having everything right here.

3 comments:

  1. Stopping by from Five Minute Friday. So glad you have joined! I enjoyed reading your post. I love your last part: "To be wife, mother, daughter, sister, friend. To have it all tugging at me, grasping for my attention. When it pulls me I release my notion of nothing and run into all those things, feeling the fullness of grace in having everything right here." Wearing all those hats can sometimes be very tiring, but when we realize how much we have and what grace is given, it make us very grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had enjoyed my free time and nothingness and bored periods when I was single. I dream of them now and realize I didn't appreciate them then, though I still longed for this family I have now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to 5mf! Your comment - "It's in having everything that I find myself longing for nothing at the same time." I think feeling overwhelmed and ungrateful is when nothing starts sounding attractive... and we are deluded, because nothing isn't necessarily peace, quiet, tranquility. Isn't that often what we mean when we say, "Oh, for nothing to do?" Thanks for you thought provoking write today!

    ReplyDelete