Thursday, February 11, 2010

A little bit of obedience

It is a well known fact that Aidan has always been a little bit of a spitfire. Maybe because his name means "little fire." Or maybe just because he comes from two somewhat determined personalities. Whatever the cause, it is something to be reckoned with on a very daily basis.
As Aidan struggled through the toddler months of 15-20, he was tempestuous. He lived for tantrums and nothing could be better communicated than screaming and flailing at full force. I just pulled my hair out and tried different remedies for discipline.
I wanted Aidan to be one of those compliant children that didn't need a whole lot of convincing to please his parents. I see these children all the time, and I admire them...not their parents. For after the experiences I've had with my own child, I can definitely say that in a lot of circumstances, it's the child...not the parents. While there are many cases to disprove my point, especially in a more secular society, let's just say I mean this for the Christian parents, the parents that are trying desperately to raise a child to be sensitive to the Holy Spirit and the correction that follows.
I have felt many times that my child's actions are a direct reflection of bad parenting or inexperience. And while some of it may be the latter, I believe that my intentions and directions are pure and my  motives and efforts are not waning. I am consistent as possible. I am reading. I am praying. And yet, I struggle.
Recently, I have found a new method of training that has finally seemed to work for my stubborn minded child. "Ah-bey" is the simple word that changed it all. Once I got Aidan to understand and repeat the word "obey", it was like I caught him and convicted him of his naughtiness. We talk about obedience a lot in this household and now we know we can expect more from him. When I need Aidan to obey me, listen to me, or whatever, I get him to say "obey" and somehow he changes. He wants to obey. He feels capable and I have made him feel so.
Now, this doesn't work perfectly every time, but it has definitely changed things dramatically in our household. I know that again, this will change and we will come into a better realm of communication that will equip us with more tools for discipline. But for now... it is all about "obey."

No comments:

Post a Comment