Friday, May 1, 2009

Thoughts on Toddlers and Moving



I wanted to throw in this picture for fun. It was taken when Aidan was about 5 1/2 months. Oh how I love love love his little chubbiness!

I'm sitting here in our office that is still quite cluttered with books, papers, a toolbox, and other random items. The walls need some touch up because the ceiling was painted. I do have a clear view into about 1/2 of Aidan's room where he is currently playing. However, he is playing on the far side I can't see and with each little crash and noise I just know that I do not want to look around the corner. He is happy, so I welcome the mess. :)

Since we've moved, I have been on a continuum of little projects and just trying to get things in order. Yikes! We are still so far away from getting there. Every day I wake up with a huge task list and plan for much accomplishment only to find that I make it through the day following Aidan around and picking up after him. (He just came to the gate at his door with pajama pants he most likely pulled out of the dirty clothes--but with a sweet little grin on his face.) Toddlers are amazingly messy. They get in to everything, their very nature is to be curious and hands-on with everything. So, for mothers, this means that we have to be constantly close, making sure that little hands stay away from dangerous things, and picking up the trail of Cheerios they leave behind. Toddlers are always on the go. They have so much energy and need a lot of room to run around. They like to make loud noises and they are into knocking things over and throwing things to see how far they go. Toddlers always give sweet hugs and kisses and have a way of trying to communicate that is just so darn cute. They talk constantly in little baby sentences that no one can understand and they laugh and scream out loud for no apparent reason. Toddlers are followers. They watch your behavior and try to mimic it. They love to see if they can make the same noises as you and will show you how ridiculous you sound when those noises are angry or mean. Toddlers are little people walking around and figuring out the world in a way that is so fascinating and unique.

But toddlers and moving do not make a very lovely combination.

Well, I'm off to put one very tired toddler into his bed for a nap.

1 comment: