Saturday, September 27, 2008

Separation Anxiety

Well, they say that at some point your baby will develop anxiety at being separated from you. For Aidan, this is not yet the case. He happily hangs out with anybody as long as they let him smile at them. So, being a very brave mommy, I have been slowly introducing Aidan to the church nursery. I kinda hoped that he would feel some sort of hesitation when I plopped him down in foreign territory, but this was not the case for Mr. Smileypants. Aidan loves the activity of the nursery. Screaming babies, toys galore, utter chaos, it's his place to thrive. He just watches the other babies and eats whatever toy he can grab (this is the part that I just have to cringe and then walk away, trying not to think about which baby feasted on it last). Anyway, all that to say...while I have been semi-enjoying my newfound freedom of sitting through a church service with little distraction, I am very distracted by the fact that Aidan is in the nursery. I find myself suffering from my own mild case of "separation anxiety" and frantically check the time to see how much longer until I can go and "rescue" him. My worry is usually all in vain because when I go in to check on him or to retrieve him, he is content, cared for, and generally pretty happy. I wonder when he will need me as much as I need him.

No comments:

Post a Comment