Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Haphazard Homeschooling


So...Aidan started Kindergarten a couple weeks ago. He is going to "school" (enrichment program) 2 days a week from 9-2:15. The other days we are teaching him at home.

His first day went pretty well, but I was thoroughly surprised when he was less than excited (and even a little tearful) about being left at school. I thought he'd be jumping at the chance to be independent, but he clung to me and didn't want me to leave (probably a first for him). He was totally happy and talkative on the way home and just a tiny apprehensive the 2nd day. Since then, he's been totally fine. I think it's been really good for him and he seems super grown up now...except when he throws a fit about something silly (which is still kinda common these days).

I haven't been spending too long with him on the off days. It's been hard with a newborn. But we are getting things done slowly and I'm not too worried that he won't know what he needs to by the end of the year.

Nora wanted her picture taken on Aidan's first day. She looks so grown up too! I can't believe she turns 3 in just 2 weeks!




1 comment:

  1. We are in a very similar life, and it's fun to read your experiences. Oliver starts his homeschool enrichment kindergarten classes on the 10th. He'll be gone 2 days a week as well. Man, I remember how stressful the newborn days are. It's still stressful, actually... As darling as Mirabelle is as a baby, I'm looking forward to her days of being more independent. But then there's the toddler issues to deal with too. Oh, my. What a joy and complete exhaustion these years are. Roll-er-coast-er.

    ReplyDelete