Saturday, July 27, 2013

Enna's Birth

This is the account of Enna's birth, written mostly for my own memory's sake. Some details may not be appreciated by all audiences, so be forewarned. :)

Like all my pregnancies, I started having contractions in my 8th month of pregnancy. With the other 2, I spent a night being monitored in the hospital (was put on bedrest with Aidan for 6-7 weeks, and had my "labor" stopped with Nora at 33 weeks, only to deliver her a month later). This time, I was determined that wasn't going to happen. I didn't want the unnecessary monitoring or hospital bills.

Around 34 weeks I started having episodes of regular contractions. They were mostly annoying and I knew not to expect anything to come of them. They didn't get much worse in intensity until about 37 weeks. By my 38 weeks appointment (when my last baby was born), I was pretty ready to get the show on the road, and I had my midwife strip my membranes as I was already 3cm dilated. With Nora, this kicked labor in within 24 hours. However, that would not be the case with this one. I had strong contractions for several days and would have episodes that would get more regular and harder, but then go away. It was exhausting. At my 39th week appointment, I was more than ready (4cm and 50% effaced) and decided to follow through with an induction 2 days later.

We went in at 6am the morning of the induction. I was having strong contractions on and off, but pretty spaced apart like they had been for days. 


 Here is the last picture of the belly. It felt so funny to be so nonchalantly going to the hospital to have the baby since my last experience was very quick, chaotic, and in the middle of the night. I was at ease, and actually feeling much calmer about delivery than I had felt the whole pregnancy.

My midwife came and broke my water at 8:30. I was 4cm and 80% effaced. I got up and walked a little to see if I would go into labor. I even visited a friend of mine who had delivered 2 days before me. Contractions were still irregular, but very strong, when I had one.

Finally, around 10:30, I asked for some pitocin. I was getting tired of waiting around and walking wasn't really helping at this point. They started my pitocin somewhere between 11-11:15am. I started having contractions shortly after and by 11:30 they were coming regularly and  just about 3-4 minutes apart, so they turned off the pitocin. 

I had planned from the beginning to get an epidural if I was going to be induced because I had pitocin with Aidan and delivered him naturally and it wasn't all that fun. I just didn't want to experience it all again and had a lot of anxiety about the pain this time around.

The contractions started really picking up and I think I asked for the epidural somewhere a little before noon. They got there and started the process, all while I was having hard contractions and wondering if I had progressed from a 4 or not since I hadn't been checked after they broke my water. The epidural process went smoothly. I had no adverse affects from the epidural, which was my biggest fear after having so many bad experiences with anesthesia and pain meds. After they got it in, they checked me and I was about 8cm and 100% effaced (so that's why I was in pain!). Finally, around 12:30, I was feeling no more pain and things were good. 


I was amazed at how calm everything was and how great it felt to be in labor, but not feeling any pain. I could still tell when I was having contractions though. It was surreal and so different from my last two experiences! I kept laughing and saying, "I can't believe I'm having a baby!" I may have even said I'd have another one (that was the epidural talking for sure!)

Not long after that I felt a lot of pressure, but wasn't sure what I was supposed to feel because the urge to push when delivering the other 2 was so strong that I couldn't help but push. This time I just wasn't sure at all. Nurses were in and out and my midwife was still on her way so they told me to try not to do anything sudden. They checked me and her head was right there. After my midwife got there, she got everything ready and it was all very leisurely. I was amazed at how slow and calm everything was! I even decided to use the mirror to watch this time since I was more aware and wasn't pushing like my life depended on it. :)


Not sure how long I pushed, but it wasn't that long. And Seth got to help pull her out and hand her to me. Kinda graphic picture, but a great moment captured. She was screaming like crazy and peed all over me. I checked to make sure it was truly a girl and just sat there smiling and feeling great.


I couldn't believe she was finally here and it was so easy. She was born about 2 hours after I went into labor. And I only felt pain for the first hour!


She weighed 6 lbs. 14 oz. and was 20 in. long. My smallest baby by an ounce! 



The downside to the epidural for me was the fact that it didn't wear off for a few hours and I hated the numb feeling. I could kinda move my legs, but they felt tingly and heavy. I wanted to move around more like I had after Nora's birth. But it was still really nice not being in pain at all.


The kids got to come in shortly after she was born and it was fun seeing them meet their little sister for the first time. Aidan was definitely the most interested in her and wanting to hold her and love on her. 




We spent just 24 hours in the hospital before heading home. I felt pretty well and my recovery hasn't been so bad. I think all in all, I am really happy to have had the epidural experience, but am still so glad that I had natural un-medicated childbirths for the first 2. I wouldn't trade either experience and have found it pretty hard to compare them to each other. They all have been unique and special in their own way and I am pretty blessed to have had such quick labors without complication.


No comments:

Post a Comment