Saturday, August 20, 2011

My boy


I can't believe how big my little boy is getting. He will start preschool in about 2.5 weeks and I am so excited for him. This summer he initiated the idea of doing the summer reading program at the library. He was so excited to earn a "gold medal" at the end. We, of course, did all the reading to him, but he was great at reminding us and was so excited to earn each of his prizes. We were so proud of him when he finally completed it.
All of the change in his life has been hard. He seems to be one that likes routine and structure and finds security in those things. We have greatly changed his "normal" in the last year with welcoming Nora into our family, moving far away from all he knew, and then moving again after just 9 months. He has even expressed dislike about the upgrade to our van and wants our "old car" back. He just likes things to stay consistent. I remember that as a baby he was that way too. He had to have things at the exact same time every day. He couldn't go 10 minutes past his bedtime without having it throw his entire sleep off. And even though he is apprehensive about change, he has no fear in jumping right in when it comes to new social surroundings. He loves people and has such wonderful independence and charm. He doesn't know a stranger and talks to anyone. I love his openness and absolute acceptance of all people. He has wonderful people skills and I love seeing him interact with such absolute innocence and delight.
So even though he has been my greatest challenge this past year, he has also brought me immense joy. I am so enjoying so of the new things he says or does and the ways in which he is growing up and learning to do more for himself. He is not my baby anymore.

I love you Aidan!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment