Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Am I really cut out for this job?

Mom. Mother. Mommy. Mama.

What makes a good mom?

Is it having perfectly disciplined kids, a spotless house, being physically fit, and cooking great meals? Or does it have to do more with who you are, how you love, how you choose to spend your time?...

Do you fail at motherhood because you give your baby egg whites instead of egg yolks, or take them out all day even though they are running a fever, or force them to eat only to have them throw it up? My performance has been a little on the low end lately. I've had to stop several times and say to myself... "Wait, where is my brain?!?!?" I even left my keys in the front door of my car as an invitation to any passerby to go ahead and steal it. Yikes!

I'm just glad there is no pass or fail when it comes to being a mother. I don't know if I would pass a test or not. Sometimes I feel confident and in control, like being a mom is the most natural thing in the world, but then sometimes it throws things at you that shake you up in a way that you feel absolutely helpless and desperate for a remedy.

I'm just thankful that even though I screw things up, I have an ever forgiving little one that smiles at me and lets me know that he doesn't need anyone else but me. Being his mom is the greatest thing in the world.

3 comments:

  1. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that you are a FANTASTIC mommy!! No, you may not doing everything "perfectly", but that's the beauty of parenting. Aidan is learning just like you are learning so for him, you're doing everything right. Um, I know I have no experience in the parenting world....yet....but I am ALWAYS here to listen. Please don't hesitate to call...918-371-0485 or 918-605-7974. Truly, I'm not working anymore so at this point, I have quite a bit of free time. :) Enjoy it while I can, right?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The joys are greater, but the hard stuff is harder! Go figure! I'm pretty sure you're an awesome mom. The mere fact that you are reflecting on it probably means you're doing a darn good job! Everything you described, I was like groaning in agreement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a wonderful mother, honey!

    ReplyDelete